Monday, October 27, 2008

Beerfest

So trying to find some sort of normality in Asia, I made my way to Beerfest! I left Singapore and travelled across the border to Jahor Baharu, Malaysia. Sounds simple but here's how the trip went. I caught a train for 15 min to a train station near the border, but the bus was broke down. I got back on the train for another 10 min to catch another bus. It was meant to hold about 40 people but you know these crazy asians... we fit at least 70 on there. Finally we made it to the border, as i tried to leave Singapore I was detained by Customs agents. Apparently i have been living in Singapore on an expired Visa. Whoops, now i know how it feels to live in southern Cali. Hahaha. Eventually i was released by the Singaporean authorities, where we then stood in a 2 hour line in the dead heat of the afternoon to be stamped in to Malaysia. All i can say about that is WOW!!! Once we crossed into Malaysia... Hot, sweaty, tired, and in dire need of refreshment we could almost smell beerfest. Somehow our guide talked us into walking a mile to save money on a cab ride. So instead of spending 11 ringot it only cost about 6 ringot. So you know that is only about 1.40 US. We live; we learn right? We finally arrived at the hotel. Washed up, got changed into our drinking clothes and proceeded to beerfest. We sang, we danced, and we competed. I haven't drank that much beer since well.... I don't think i have ever drank that much. That says alot. It was a good time, and the border crossing was worth it.

0 comments: